Saturday, October 06, 2012

Healey Man


When I pulled into the Old Mill Bakery Café yesterday morning I spotted this restored 1961 Austin Healey 3000 in the parking lot. At an outside table nearby I spotted John Bassett, the owner of Carpe Vinum on Main Street in Ellicott City. John introduced me to cars owner, Gary Hemphill.
Gary told me he bought the car in 1971 for $350. “It was actually in pretty good shape with the exception of the interior,” he told me. He finished the restoration in 1972.  Today this car could easily sell for over $80,000.
Gary was the perfect guy for this car. He owns Hemphill’s Healey Haven in Catonsville.

Gary owns a few other classic cars as well. It turns out that he is the owner of the Morris Minor 1000 I saw in almost the exact same parking space back in June.


blog comments powered by Disqus